Monday, September 22, 2008

People or Places?

I used think there were two routes to travel, one that takes you to beautiful places (mountains, ocean, cities), the other that take you to beautiful people (people you know, trust, love). I would tend to pick people over places any day of the week, visiting places that have people you want to see and develop deeper relationships.

These past couple days, a third route travel route emerged. I was reconnected with my cousin Maureen, his husband Richard and their two great kids Hanna and Chloe. I haven't seen Maureen since my grandfather died a number of years ago. It was beautiful to be with them. To laugh, hear stories of life in England, eat great food they prepared and sleep in a home. Their hospitality was tremendous and I felt so welcomed.

They live in a beautiful town called Melsonby, in the Yorkshire area. From there, we traveled to the Lake District (home of Beatrix Potter tales) and one of the National Parks in the area. Stunning landscape with breathtaking views abound. I was amazed at the great, big fields filled with sheep and the incredible stacked stone fences. The lake was fantastic as we took a tour on of the lake from Bowness. Our day was capped off with an excellent meal at the CB Inn, partaking in the local brew on cask, Black Sheep Bitter. Outstanding.

This part of the trip truly brought together both beautiful people and beautiful places, a third way. And I am thankful.

4 comments:

Rachel Elek said...

Chris, I love reading your blog and seeing you on your adventures! I know this trip will be so meaningful to you down the road. Feel free to stop by Chicago anytime!

Unknown said...

Chris, it is so fun to read as you channel the "yoda" side of yourself well in these blogs. "smile of a newborn baby..." :)

We'll keep you in our prayers as you explore the world! There are so many things to see. I miss Europe sometimes.
-Nicole

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris,
Glad to hear you are also on travels. We just arrived in IL for two years, then off to who knows where! I see from your map that you'll see the Baker-
Evens....wonderful. They are in our prayers...we really enjoy them.

Cagwinator said...

thanks for your posts. we miss you back here. I hope you find more places that really help you find God and remember those who support you.