Friday, September 19, 2008

I Sat Next to William Blake

Yesterday I went to Westminster Abbey's Evensong. Magnificent. Traveling solo has actually not be too rough, but being in a space, a church with a couple hundred people worshipping in unison...well, it lifts the soul. It was also a fitting "end" to the day, making sense of all the things that had taken place up to that time. You know what I mean? When something seems to put everything into perspective, seems to bring to light all the cluster and confusion of the day....like a phone call from a good friend, the smile from a newborn, an embrace.

These events can reach through and, even in the silence (maybe because of the silence), speak the love that we all so long to hear. This is the experience I had at Westminster Abbey. Worship. Communing with God. Hearing God's gentle voice reminded me that He loves me, that He loves you. I hope that you will find a fitting end to your day, that the silence might speak to you, that you might experience a love far greater and more majestic than you can ever imagine. And may you find rest there, true rest in this love.

No comments: