Friday, October 17, 2008

Road to Rome

So...I spent three days in Barcelona after Paris. Very cool place with Gaudi architecture, great beaches and an awesome view of the city and coast from Montjuic. Plus, got to catch up with a former CMU student, Merry, which was a great bonus. I had been contemplating just doing a 4 month trip around Europe, since I was three weeks into the trip and just in Barcelona (after starting in London). But, pulled the trigger in Barcelona and decided to head around the world as planned. I think it is a good decision. (leave on Nov 10th from Berlin to Thailand...got a cheap first class ticket)

Traveling around the world meant moving on from Barcelona. I bought a 30 day bus pass from Eurolines, much cheaper than train, and got on a bus to Rome. The trip to Rome is about 24 hrs long...beautiful, but brutal for a guy like myself. They dont make buses for big people, at least not 6'5" people (guess that is why it is cheaper). Buses are interesting contraptions, filled with the local crowd no doubt. I sat next to a Sylvester Stallone look like, with diamond studded earing to match. He and I didnt really chat...he just nodded and said hey.

There is a deep curosity within passengers on the bus with what is happening on the road (unlike trains). Cars swerve in and out around the bus, busdrivers get mad, the bus stops at places for passenger to get food or use the restroom, people push and shove to find a seat. It is rather chaotic, and mind you these are first class buses (nothing like those found in central/south america or asia). And the road, the road is bumpy, filled with potholes and all sorts of interesting things.

I kinda like traveling by bus...i can't believe I just said that. It feels more real, more alive. The discomfort, the long, long journey. Life isn't always peaches and cream. Nothing better than a bus, a 24 hr bus to Rome to remind you of that. I think this is good, to be reminded of the thorns and thistles in life, that things are always "easy", that the road ahead is oftentimes filled with potholes and crazy busdrivers. How we function during these times is what matters? Can we still give thanks, even as my knees are in my chest? I don't know, I hope so...that is what I am trying to do.

3 comments:

mabbs said...

How did Sylvester Stallone survive sitting next to those elbows?? Not to mention that you're 6'5"! Holy cow! Cookies you're a stud.
Abbott

bonnieliefer said...

Chris,
this is awesome--I love your reflections. Can't wait till you go to Prague--I thought it was breathtaking when we were there 2 years ago...

Mark, Kristin, Hannah, Haley, Braedan said...

People are reading this, so keep writing...